Hello, crazy kids! I bet you’ve all been twiddling your thumbs and impatiently refreshing my homepage to find out how I spent my second week of staycation as the first dose was so riveting! (Remember? Lots of hot chocolate, half-price pizzas, etc).
While there was still an abundance of sweet treats (I should rename my blog ‘She of the sweet tooth’ or some such), there was also lots more relax time. Like this…
Nom-nom-nomming and resting aside, the ‘staycation’ was also very productive. First up, I tackled the very last of the very hefty filing admin, as we learned the hard way a few months back that slotting all the paperwork of everything from the everest of ever into a skimpy, flimsy little concertina file is not the answer (read: it broke apart all over my head when I lifted it out of the cupboard and turned our spare room into the messiest mess that was so embarrassing we permanently kept the door closed).
Until now, that is… behold the tidy organised-ness:
And while that was quite the achievement ( as well as FINALLY framing some of the academic certificates Husband’s had for decades, as you see above), what I was most proud of was the little DIY project I set myself.
See, our ‘medicine/loose wires/wrapping paper/all and sundry random objects’ chest of drawers was starting to look a bit tired. More than a little tired if you must know, as some of its pully-knobs just plain fell out along the way. And (more disconcertingly) it was a boring brown, which doesn’t quite match my black-and-white-and-silver colour scheme in the slightest. So it was a big colour clash mish-mash and overall eyesore, truth be told. So what did I do? I plotted and planned, flipped through magazines for inspiration, and finally found it (albeit in pink instead of grey) – a lovely ombre effect that’s easy to achieve by simply making each drawer a different shade of your colour of choice by blending different amounts of paint together… nothing to do with the 50 Shades of Grey book ‘n movie franchise, alas.
But wipe away your tears and bask in my pride by having a looksee below – and let me know what you think! It’s by no means perfect, but only cost around R90 to complete (R35 for a tub of black paint, R35 for a tub of white paint, R10 for 2 small round wooden doorknobs, R10 for brand new paintbrush). This is the before shot…
I know, I know – it’s only 6 of the stated 50 shades of grey the book promises, so there’s bound to be more DIY coming my way 😉